Living well for less in France

Living well for less in France

Monday 25 November 2013

ALMOND MILK AND HOW TO MAKE IT

We are very lucky here in the South of France that Almond trees grow as wild as the blackberries do in England.
You would expect the trees to be stripped bare every year considering how expensive almonds and almond products are yet on my walk today there were so many had been left to rot.

I have picked enough to last me the year!!!!

Today I tried making almond milk for the first time.......it was so easy that I dont know why I have never done it before. We generally use soya milk for our breakfast cereals but almond milk is equally good and if I can make it "gratuit"..all the better.

Firstly only make enough to last you 3 days as this is as long as it will last in the fridge...unless you know you need some for other recipes...ie..rice puddings.


Soak your raw almonds overnight in water.....longer if possible. I left mine for a day and a half to make sure they were very soft.
I used 3 cups of almonds and it gave me 800mls of milk.

Drain the soaked almonds then blend in a liquidiser with 2 cups of water to 1 cup of almonds. Its amaking to see the water change to milk!!!! (doesnt take much to amuse me)

Strain the mixture through a muslin bag then bottle up the milk.







Use the leftover almond paste in smoothies or in porridge. You can also bake it in a low oven for a couple of hours and keep in jars to use in cake mix/tarts.
We had our woodburning fire on today and the paste dried out very nicely on a tray on top of it!

Enjoy xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment