Living well for less in France

Living well for less in France

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Foraging in France in September

So here we are in the first weeks of September. The garden produce is slowly dwindling.......although I am still managing to get a bowlful of rasps and strawbs every couple of day.

We are still collecting lots of blackberries...although I did have a bit of a disaster tonight!!!
On the way back from the allotment I managed to collect a large pot of particuarly big juicy berries. I was very pleased with my little horde.....however I spotted that the fig tree had several of the lovely purple figs on. Why is it that the biggest bet looking piece of fruit is always just out of reach? Not one to give up... I ended up tripping on a bramble...knocking over the pot full of brambles  I had collected.. which disappeared into some crevice in the ground...which ensured there was no way I was going to give up....the said bramble would not let go of my leg and I ended up looking like I had had a fight with a tiger!!!! BUT...I did get the figs!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!
They were baked in the oven and we had them with some ice cream after our dinner!!!! Welll worth the war wounds!

September in France is the Vendange...grape picking. It is a little later starting this year due to the cold Spring and the hot weather. However the downpour we had at the weekend has ensured that they will be very juicy and nice. The grapes are for making wine...but they can also be eaten. It would be more than your life is worth if you took any grapes before the Vendange....you are stealing someones livelihood..however after it has finished...usaully two weeeks....then you are free to help yourself. Great just for eating or you can make grape juice.
The figs are just about finished but there is still some picking left.
The almonds are now ready so we will be heading out to pick what we can.
I store the almonds in their shells in a cool dry place. I also shell some then roast them in the oven with salt or a little honey. They can be sealed in jars to use later. They do not keep as long as the plain almonds but are very nice.
I also ground some to use in baking recipes and also for making almond and honey face mask.
Very versatile little darlings. I cant believe how expensive these nuts are in the shops when there are so many trees out in the vines.
There is not a lot else to pick here...or they may be... but nothing that we would use.
The next forage will be later in the year when the mushrooms arrive...the Cepes here are abundant...I have always been a bit nervous about picking the mushrooms...as we should all be. The Golden rule of foraging is to know that what you are picking is safe to eat. Here in France you are able to take your mushrooms to the local pharmacy for identification. A MUST!!!

Off to bathe my foraging wounds in a warm bath!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment