Living well for less in France

Living well for less in France

Thursday 29 August 2013

FIG CHUTNEY....YUMMY!!!


Today was supposed to be a nice easy relaxing day....at least that was until we got a call from an aquaintance saying she had far too many figs on her tree and could we use some.......well, is the Pope Catholic? We went straight  over and picked over 10kgs of figs..she even made us coffee and home made biscuits. In exchange I gave her a jar of my beetroot chutney....even if I say it myself the recipe I use for the beetoot chutney is the best ever...but I think I got the better deal!

Result!!!.....10 jars of chutney, 3 jars of figs in syrup and one happy bunny!!!

FIG CHUTNEY RECIPE

2.5lbs figs..chopped
1 onion chopped
2 cups malt vinegar
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups sugar...I use brown
1 teaspoon each of dried ginger and salt
1/2 teaspoon each of curry, mixed spice and cinnamon

Put onions, figs and half the vinegar in a preserving pan and boil till pulpy
Add sugar spices and rest of vinegar ..simmer until thick
Pot in sterilized, warmed jars.
Makes about 5 jars

Remember that if the jar has a metal lid to protect the inside of it from the vinegar with greasproof paper.


BOOKSWAP DAY

Once a month in the MacDonalds of our local town, Lezignan Corbieres ,..Little Fat Norman...(yes he calls himself that.) runs a bookswap club for ex pats. Its a straight one for one swap of books or dvds. No money changes hands and if you want to take any extra to what you can give then it just requires a contribution to the charity box. As well as providing a great service for us Norman fund raises for The British Leigon and does a brilliant job.
His website is a great for all of us living in Aude and Herault..check it out...
LFN.org.
 ONIONS ARE READY
Here are my onions...just relaxing.... before I string them all up!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment