Living well for less in France

Living well for less in France

Saturday 17 August 2013

Preserving with salycilic acid?

As its that time of year when we are trying to preserve all our produce from the garden..the question always arises as to the best methods.
We have no problem with freezer space but when it comes to preserving tomato sauces for pasta and soups I would much prefer to have them in bottles ready to use.
Our 84 yr old french neighbour swears by using 1 g of salicylic acid in powder form to 1 litre of liquid. I am a bit unsure ..reports seem to suggest it can be dubious...however our neighbour has used this method all her life as did her mother...she is very fit and healthy.....so I am going to give it a try.
Using jars with the sealable lids,  I will work on the principle that if they have popped there will be a problem and if not.......well it should be ok. What do you think?

Update....I bottled several jars of leek and potato soup. We have now had the first one

1  It tasted good

2 It looked good

3 As yet we have had no after effects.

However..as I am not keen on the use of any products like this I am still going to save for a pressure canner. In the long run it will be a good investment and I will feel safer and happier

Bon Appetite!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment